High School Students
Start your college experience as a Georgia State University Panther and choose from dozens of nationally-ranked programs and more than 250 different majors, minors, and degree programs.
Georgia State is now part of the Common Application and offers you two methods of review to choose from. Learn more about our new application options.
Step-By-Step Application Instructions
The optional essay portion of the application requires 250-650 words written on one of the following topics:
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience
- Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again
- Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma-anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
- Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
For more on the optional essay, visit our Application Tips page.
- Credit card or checking account system accepted.
- Or provide an approved Collegeboard, NACAC or ACT fee waiver. (For ACT waivers, speak with your high school counselor. Fee waivers are only taken for prospective freshman applications.)
Mail your original, approved fee waiver to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Sparks Hall, Suite 200
P.O. Box 4009
Atlanta, GA 30302-4009
*Your application will not be reviewed for admission until we have received your complete and approved free waiver.
- High schools must send transcripts through official mail or electronically through GAfutures. You can use our transcript request form to request a mailed transcript from your high school.
- A final official transcript must also be sent after graduation. Calculation of GPA is based on core academic classes only.
Please note: there is an option to include an additional two teacher recommendations, but Georgia State does not require teacher recommendations, nor is the counselor recommendation required for admissions consideration.
For more on the optional letter of recommendation, visit our Application Tips page.