The Accel program provides opportunities for high school students enrolled at an eligible high school to enroll full-time (12-15 semester hours) or part time (1-11 semester hours) to earn both high school and college credits. Participation is only permitted during the normal fall and spring semesters of the high school and college school year.
To be eligible for the Accel program, a student must:
- Be a high school student seeking a high school diploma from a public or private school, including home study, or home school programs
- Be on track to graduate
- Be a legal resident of Georgia and meet U.S. citizenships requirements
- Obtain approval of the high school guidance counselor and parent(s)/legal guardian(s)
Students must meet all three requirements for admission. Students not meeting one or more of the requirements will not be admissible for participation in the program.
- GPA Requirement: 3.0
- Test scores: Students may take either the ACT or SAT. The following minimum scores are required:
- ACT Requirement: 23 English and 23 Math
- SAT Requirement: 530 Verbal (Critical Reading) and 530 Math
- Freshman Index (FI): 2600 or higher
Applicants must submit the application, nonrefundable application fee, and required documents by the appropriate deadline.
Fall Semester: May 1
Spring Semester: November 1
Accel Program students are not eligible to enroll in classes for the summer semester. Note: All deadlines are subject to change.
Step-by-Step Application Instructions
- Complete and submit the online Undergraduate Application for Freshman Admission. You will select the ‘Joint Enrollment/Post-Secondary options’ applicant type once you near the end of the application.
- Submit Non-Refundable Application Fee of $60 or provide an approved College Board, NACAC or ACT fee waiver. For ACT waivers, please speak with your high school guidance counselor.
- Submit test scores electronically
- Submit official high school transcripts
High schools must submit official transcripts through mail or electronically through GAcollege411. Mailing address: Office of Undergraduate Admissions, P.O. Box 4009, Atlanta, GA 30302-4009. Home school students should follow the process outlined here.
- Submit official college transcript only if you were enrolled in dual enrollment at another institution prior to applying to Georgia State.
- Check your application status. The typical timeline for processing an application and supporting documents to receive a decision is approximately is 4-6 weeks.
Talk to your high school guidance counselor about the classes you want to take. Students will take all coursework at Georgia State University’s main campus. Courses must be selected from the approved Course Directory for Accel. All schedules are subject to the approval of the appropriate high school official and Georgia State University. Coursework taken under the Accel Program does not count against HOPE Scholarship or Hope Grant hours.
The cost for full-time coursework up to 15 semester hours from the approved course listing will be covered under the Accel program. Accel only covers tuition. Other cost of attendance expenses including lab fees, books, meals, transportation and personal expenses are the responsibility of the parent/guardian. Any additional credit hours and/or courses not covered under the approved course list must be paid for out of pocket.
Policies & Regulations
Georgia State University Accel Program students are not permitted to live on campus in University Housing and must have a form of transportation to campus. Click here to visit Parking and Transportation.