A freshman is an applicant who has never been enrolled in a regionally-accredited college or university, with the exception of joint enrollment while in high school. Georgia State calculates admissibility through consideration of two factors: a student’s grade point average (GPA) in the College Prep Curriculum high school courses and official SAT and/or ACT scores.
The average ranges for admissible freshmen are as follows:
|High School Core GPA||3.2 – 3.7|
|SAT (Verbal + Math only)||950 – 1160|
|ACT (Composite)||20 – 25|
- Applicants must meet the minimum Board of Regents criteria to apply to a research institution: SAT (430 Reading/400 Math) or ACT (17 English and 17 Math). Meeting these minimum standards does not guarantee admission to Georgia State.
- Georgia State requires completion of the Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) course units. Please refer to the table above for the average GPA range of accepted students.
|ENGLISH||4||Any 4 English/Language Arts|
|MATH||4||Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry & 1 Higher Level Math|
|NATURAL SCIENCE||4||1 Life Science/Lab, 1 Physical Science/Lab, & 2 Science Electives|
|SOCIAL SCIENCE||3||1 U.S. History, 1 World History & 1 Social Science Elective|
|FOREIGN LANGUAGE||2||Both units must be the same language.American Sign Language is acceptable.|
- Georgia State requires freshmen applicants to submit SAT or ACT scores. Please refer to the table above for the average test ranges of accepted GSU students. All test scores must be submitted electronically directly from the appropriate testing agency. Georgia State will not review any application based on test scores received on a high school transcript, nor will we consider paper rush reports.
- Freshman applicants have the option to submit a short essay and a request a recommendation letter. Visit our Application Tips page for more information on both of these documents.
- If you are a high-school student who’s interested in taking college courses now, please visit dual enrollment.
- Home-schooled students and students graduating from non-accredited schools must follow admissions requirements and process here.
- If you have been out of school for at least five years, please view our non-traditional page.