In addition to meeting all other applicable requirements for admission, non-native speakers of English must demonstrate sufficient English language proficiency. This may be demonstrated by any of the following:
- International Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of:
- 550 or better (paper test)
- 79-80 (internet-based test)
- Georgia State Test of English Proficiency (GSTEP) score of 6.
- Successful completion of Georgia State University’s Intensive English Program.
- For transfer applicants, completion of a college-level English composition course with a grade of “C-” or better at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
- For freshmen applicants, SAT Critical Reading score of 430 or better or ACT English score of 17 or better.
Conditional Admission — F1 Visa Applicants Only
Non-native speakers of English who meet all admission requirements except the English language proficiency may be granted conditional admission.
To be eligible for conditional admission, applicants meet the following:
- TOEFL score of either:
- 480 or better (paper test)
- 54-55 (internet-based test)
Students granted conditional admission will be required to take certain courses in the Intensive English Program (IEP) before taking other courses at Georgia State.
A student may remain on conditional admission status for no more than three semesters.
Financial Aid is typically not available to IEP students.